EVENTS We are announcing
HISTORY Welcome to Dominican Monastery
established In 1230
Methildis (†1253), the widow of Friedrich III of Ptuj, establishes the Dominican Monastery with the support of Archbishop of Salzburg Eberhard II.
Friedrich IX of Ptuj is buried at the monastery. His death was the end of an important, economically and militarily successful noble family, which was a generous and demanding patron of art.
The monastery is dissolved. The monastery and all its properties and assets are transferred to the religious fund, while the government transforms the monastery complex into an army hospital
A consortium buys the complex with the purpose of converting it into a silk mill.
The municipality buys the buildings, and turns them into a museum and apartments. The archaeological collections of the regional museum are on display at the complex until 2012, when renovation starts.